Sunday, August 16, 2015

Instructions from Hashem for Our Time

בס"ד
From Rosh Chodesh Elul, today, to Simchas Torah, we recite an extra prayer every day that is very appropriate for our time. In fact, if you read it carefully, it comes out as definite instructions that Hashem is giving us to carry us through the coming weeks. The prayer is Psalm 27. The best way to understand the message is to state the prayer and do a cursory analysis of what Hashem is telling us. First read the Psalm:

Psalm 27 (from the Birnbaum Siddur)

A Psalm of David. Hashem is my light and aid; whom shall I fear? Hashem is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers press against me to eat up my flesh - my enemies and my foes - it is they who stumble and fall. Even though an army were arrayed against me, my heart would not fear; though war should arise against me, still would I be confident. One thing I ask from Hashem, one thing I desire - that I may dwell in the house of Hashem all the days of my life, to behold the pleasantness of Hashem, and to meditate in His sanctuary. Surely, He will hide me within His own tabernacle in the day of distress; He will conceal me in the shelter of his tent; He will set me safe upon a rock. Thus, my head shall be high above all my foes around me; I will offer sacrifices within His tabernacle to the sound of trumpets; I will sing and chant praises to Hashem. Hear, Hashem, my voice when I call; be gracious to me and answer me. In Your behalf my heart has said: "Seek you My presence"; Your presence, Hashem, I do seek. Hide not Your face from me; turn not Your servant away in anger; You have been my help; do not abandon me, forsake me not, O G-d my Savior. Though my father and mother have forsaken me, Hashem will take care of me. Teach me Your way, Hashem, and guide me in a straight path, in spite of my enemies. Deliver me not to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen up against me, such as breathe forth violence. I do believe I shall yet see the goodness of Hashem in the land of the living. Hope in Hashem; be strong, and let your heart be brave; yes, hope in Hashem.
This is not rocket science. It is so simple to evaluate that when we are in times of peril, as we are now; in time of war, as it seems imminent now; in times of great danger from our enemies, as it is now, the only relief – the only protection that is available is Hashem. This Psalm is read every year but it has never seemed as urgent as this year. There is no coincidence that the last week the Psalm is required to be read just happens to be Sukkot (the week that we traditional read about and believe is the time of the final battle of Gog U Magog). It is the time that many sources are predicting war this year.

I have mentioned that I believe war will come, but that Hashem will say: “Enough” and completely control the situation by what we like to call “natural disasters.” There is so much instability on this Earth for potential earthquakes (with possible tsunamis), hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, volcano eruptions, etc, etc, etc, that it may be another sign of the way Hashem will, measure-for-measure, clean up the evil of the world. It says above it is “they who stumble and fall” and Hashem knows each of us exactly where we stand in following Hashem’s ways. Even atheists will have an opportunity to be scared enough from pending war to change their nonsensical ways – after all “there are no atheists in foxholes.” Also, I believe “there are no atheists in bunkers and storm cellars.”

Time is running out. Be as skeptical and as stubborn as you want; but, when the time comes (and it may be this week), know that “I do believe I shall yet see the goodness of Hashem in the land of the living. Hope in Hashem; be strong, and let your heart be brave; yes, hope in Hashem.” It is the only instructions you will need to survive. Have a very good future – and I do mean very good.


Extra note: The line that says: "Deliver me not to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen up against me, such as breathe forth violence."  The Hebrew word for VIOLENCE that King David gave us thousands of years ago is חמס, yes Hamas -- what a coincidence.  (I am aware that the modern spelling of the terrorist organization is spelled with an alef, but the pronunciation is the same.)  There are probably other hints within the Psalm to let us know the pertinence for now.  If you find any, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing

    I heard recently in a lecture that one thing that is a very good zchus is to Not talk in shul. We can each make a difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct. Read the Mishnah Berurah 101 and see the danger of talking in Shul.

      When I was in the states, I used to carry a card that said: "Say whatever you want, Hashem is listening." It worked.

      Delete